Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Screaming Kids

Couple of days ago, my big, scared dog went to the hardware store, and only had a minor moment of fear, not panic, when it seemed we couldn't make this woman leave our tailside.  Literally, I pulled him to the side three times to let her and her cart full or pavers and soil pass, and every time, she stopped to look at something or talk to her husband.  Then I'd think "ok, we'll go then" and we'd try, but right that instant, she'd move too.....We finally lost her when I found an isle too skinny for her cart, and he calmed immediately.

We've been making a lot of progress in the Out in Public scenes, and he's beginning to understand that the world is not out to get him...

Anyway, last night, I took this dog, who's been making huge strides in the confidence department around Humans, for a walk around the block.  He's relaxed, but then....there's kids on bikes...ok...one moment of turning circles to calm him, and he's ok.  I'm thinkin' "Fantastic!  All that hardware store time is paying off" and then, about 15 minutes into our stroll, it happens:

"Doggie!!!!"  "Doggie!!!" "Doggie!!! We Want To Pet Your Dog!!!!"  Two screaming little girls on bicycles are making a beeline for us!  We cross the street.  They follow.  Racing and screaming 'doggie' the whole time.  I call to them, "Girls, he's very scared of kids, can you please give us some space?"  Mind you, these are not kids who are too young to understand that...They look at least 7 or 8.  "OHHHHHhhhh!!! But we LOVE Dogs!!"  is the scream that responds as they race not two feet away from my poor guy, who is backing up with a force that I'm sure I could enter into weight-pull competitions, if they allowed the dog to pull backwards that is.

We finally lose them when I manage to drag Gerodi out of their parents approved "you can bike to there" zone, almost a whole block away.

Why?  Why do parents not think it is important to teach their kids how to behave around dogs?
Those girls just set him back.  I'm sure he'll bounce, and we'll have to spend more time around kids on bikes, but I'll have to start at the skate park where the kids are teenagers, and could care less about the 'mom' with her dog who says DO NOT PET ME on his vest.

What if, instead of fear, my dog had an extremely aggressive response to screaming kids coming at him.  And despite my best efforts, (let's say I don't teach dogs professionally in this scenario) he yanks the leash from my hands because your kids' screaming and rushing at him was too much for him to handle.  What if he's faster then your kids?  Ever watch a West Highland White chase something down?  Yeah...that was your kids leg.

Parents, please.  For the sake of all dogs, for the sake of all children, will you please put more effort into teaching your kids how to behave when a dog is present.  When I was a kid, it seemed that all my friends knew to ignore a dog, or to ask politely if they could touch it.  Screaming and running up to a strange dog was not something that people of my generation did too much of.  It seems to me now, that there is a dangerous lack of this training among young Humans these days.

I fear for dogs when I go to the park.  Really.  I see parents allowing their small toddlers run, unassisted and wobbly, up to large dogs on leash.  I watch dog owners laughing as their beagles knock kids over in their enthusiasm to lick their faces.  And while it's sweet that the dog wants to kiss that kid so bad, what if the kid doesn't feel that way and starts crying loudly, or reacts by smacking the dog in the face, and the dog retaliates? 

I work with families who are convinced the Dog is the one with all the behavioral issues, but are allowing the kids to mercilessly tease or follow the dog into places where it is obviously trying to get away from them.  I cringe as I watch these kids pile on top of a dog trying to enjoy a bone, or chasing the kids around while one or two or them laughs and screeches "bad dog!"


These are recipes for disaster.
I don't care if you own a Dachshund or a Great Dane, a German Shepherd or a Golden Retriever, a Bichon or a Bassett, or if you have no dog at all.  If you have children, it is your responsibility to show them how to be safe and respectful of canines wherever they are.

Tomorrow:
The Easy and Simple Rules to Follow to Keep Kids and Dogs Safe from Each Other.

No comments:

Post a Comment