Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Fostering vs. Recycling

A foster home is a house that the dog is sent to, either from a shelter, or through a rescue network, in the hopes that the dog will "do better" in that environment, and hopefully, learn enough stuff to make him more suitable for adoption.  This is not a permanent home, (though for some, it almost becomes that because they stay so long) and is designed to be a revolving door to open the spot for another dog in need.

Recycling a dog is quite different.  A "recycler" is someone who habitually picks up dogs, either from a shelter, or buys them from 'breeders' because they wanted it for one reason or another, and gives it away when the circumstances change, or they no longer feel they can handle the animal.  They start out with the best of intentions, or "needs" in their minds, but probably should not have taken that animal home in the first place. They are unprepared to give that animal the care and teaching it requires for its entire life.  The dog winds up in a new home, with the same issues.

These are usually impulse decisions.  These Humans go to shelters and fall for faces, and do not consider their entire lives.  These are Craiglisters.  These are poor choices.

"I work 15 hrs a day, am never home, go out on the weekends, don't like to travel with my pets and have three kids....Hey! Look at this cute dog!  Let's get it!"

"The landlord says we can't have big dogs anymore.  I gave her away."

"The shelter said he only had 10 hrs left to live...I just couldn't say no....Can you loan me money for food?"

"I finally got my pack down to a manageable number.  I like it better this way.  I have more control........The rescue talked me into two puppies!!!"

"He wouldn't stop tearing things up, so we gave him away on Craiglist...... Look at the new puppy we got!"

"My neighbor said to get a __*insert protective breed name here___after the break-in, so I got him.  He hates my small dog.  What do I do?"

Without being too judgmental, but let's face it, I am being judgmental:  This is wrong.  I understand that in some cases, re-homing is actually the smart, logical and necessary thing to do...But the majority of cases I see where this has been the situation, could have been avoided with a little more dedication and life management.  And research; not enough research goes into choosing a dog.  I am not saying that I have never been in a situation where I had to re-home a dog, but I learned my lesson:  I stopped taking animals I was not prepared to give care to for the rest of their lives.

I have a dog who will forever be a pain in my neck.  He requires special food.  He needs meds to manage anxiety issues.  He barks at nothing (I swear he has turrets) and barks loudly!  He is easily scared.  He eats inedible objects because his last Humans never gave him any proper dog chews.  He digs craters in the yard.  He hates when we have visitors because they scare him.
But you know what?  He is My Mess.  I chose him knowing he would most likely never be completely whole because he is genetically flawed; his mind is not sound, and he can't see right.  I committed to the life of this guy.  No matter how much work he is.  And he will be a lot of work to rehabilitate; I spend too much time working with other people's dogs at the present, so he gets to be a bit more of a homebody then I'd like.  I have not dedicated the time he needs to the full extent it will require; I know this.

Two days ago, I found a purpose for him:  He is amazingly quiet in public (so long as Humans don't attempt to interact with him; he wears a vest saying "do not pet me" to help)....So much so that he does not react at all to dogs, no matter what they might do around him.  He helped a dog aggressive dog learn to be closer to another dog. 

I strongly feel it is wrong to just "get another dog" when the first, second or third (4th, 5th, 12th) don't work out.  We opted to move years ago when BSL came to Denver, CO rather then re-home our pitbull.  It wasn't easy.  It wasn't cheap.  But you know what?  That dog was family.

We own a house now.  And I tell you what, if the city came knocking tomorrow and told me it was mandatory for my animals to go, so would I.  Granted, not before a fight with City Council and a lot of noise and media attention...but you get the idea.  These are not just 'my dogs' these are members of my family.  They are not recyclable.
They are not replaceable.
They are safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment