Monday, September 22, 2014

8 Books that Influenced My Dog Addiction

Premium AI Image | arafed dog sitting on a pile of books with a pile of  books behind him generative ai
1. "Silver Chief:  Dog of the North" by Jack O'Brian
Well before 'White Fang' was on the 'required reading list' for elementary school, this book made me want to be best friends with an animal who once did not trust anyone, or anything...to form that bond that only a "savior" can give...Of course, I'd have to move to Alaska and set a snare trap, after I'd listened to the legends of the natives, and finally convinced myself that this creature and I were of the same spirit.....

2. "Big Red" by Jim Kjelgaard
Here again, a wonderful story of a boy and his dog roaming the wilderness and sharing secrets...it's no wonder all my diaries wear fur.

3. "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Harriot
Nothing like an English countryside vet to make you bring every injured, crooked or weird animal home, begging your parents to let you keep it because you 'understand' how to help it....I didn't (I was probably 8) but for years, I wanted to be a large animal vet because of this guy.

4. "Old Yeller" by Fred Gibson
The unfortunate fact that most of the best dog books are written for young adults (in my opinion) does not deter me from recommending that everyone read this book.  Throw the Disney idea of a yellow lab out the window folks; this story is most likely about a Black Mouth Cur....Gibson's description of that little boy, watching his momma sew up his dog's insides; that stuck with me.

5. "Good Dog Carl" by Alexandra Day
Children's book? Yes.
Beautiful Art? Yes.
Showcasing what amazing animals Rottweilers are with family?  Why yes!

6. "The Dogs of Babel" by Carolyn Parkhurst
On a more adult level, this book is really about love, and learning to breathe again after you lose someone so very important....
...also, there are horrible experiments and imagery that will creep into your dreaming and leave you shuddering; touching the faces of your dogs, just to make sure they are whole and healthy.

7. "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron
Again, a young adult read; this explores the possibility of our dog's 'coming back' to do it over again, until they get it right.  The original soul of the first dog learns something he will need for his next try; his next Human; his next job.  Just a heart-touching read.....bring tissues.

8. "The Complete Dog Book: The Photograph, History, and Official Standard of Every Breed Admitted to AKC Registration" by the AKC
My father had a copy of this book.  798 pages of dogs.  Classifications, drawings, pictures, and grooming information.  This was well before any 'doodle-dogs' hit the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment