Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Pitbull Puppies make me sick

Not at all kidding.  I am a member of a few facebook forums that are supposed to be a community of responsible, pitbull loving/accepting folks, and frankly, the number of "Lookit what I got!!" posts with a photo of a stupid-cute pit puppy churn my guts.
 I hope, in genuine sincerity, that you acquired that pup from a rescue.  I hope you didn't pay money for that to some dude off of Craigslist....or worse....."Yay! My Easter Present!!!"  Are you kidding me....?  Really?  Someone bought you a live pitbull puppy for Easter?  Not only does this fire me up on the do not give animals as presents front, it makes me worried that You might be a responsible Human, but the person who bought you that cute dog, had no idea what they were doing, and gave a back-yard breeder money to continue the practice.  And do you truly have time to raise and train that new present?! 
I know that there are TONS of puppies that cycle through the rescues, but I get so sad when I think about the senior dogs, and older dogs being passed over because someone opted for the cuteness instead.  I also understand that in some situations, getting a young dog is actually the better option.  You may actually have a good reason for wanting to raise your own; put in what you want; not have to deal with or fix any rescue baggage...I get that.  I have had moments where I too have considered a pup the next go'round.  But then I think of the numbers.
 4,800 out of 7,000.

That is the number of pitbull type dogs euthanized in my state (Colorado) 2013.  That is a lot of dead dogs that probably didn't have to be dead.   

I also know I am most likely being too cynical about this.....but I fear I may be absolutely right.  Most of these posts do not divulge where or whom the pup was "gotten" from.  They somehow "got" another puppy to go with the other three full-grown pits they already own.  "Well, my dogs wouldn't like a grown dog, so we got a puppy."  ok, fine...where did you get that puppy?

1 comment:

  1. Knowing where they came from and being prepared is EVERYTHING. We made massive mistakes on both counts, as you know. :-) The numbers are devastating! We still struggle with our choices, still wonder if we made the right decisions. Often doubting our ability for a future, happy & balanced pack. Whether or not one would be better off elsewhere etc. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and spreading the word! <3

    ReplyDelete